Deputy General Manager
Reporting to: General Manager
Responsible for: 2 p/t staff + sub contractors
Location: Office based with travel
Hours: 37 per week
Salary: £27,898 pa
Deputise for the General Manager and lead on the development and support (business coaching) for the local voluntary and community sector as well as communities across Bracknell Forest and Wokingham Borough.
Core Tasks & Responsibilities
- Deputise for the General Manager as required
- Support the GM with ideas development
- Manage and supervise the Trustee Recruitment and the Funding Advisors
- Attend strategic meetings acting on behalf of involve and the VCS
- Share and lead on any pieces of work or opportunities that arise from the attendance of boards/ forums
- Contribute to communications and sharing of information internally and externally for the benefit of the VCS and involve
- Positively support the growth and brand of the organisation
- Maintain the position of; empowering and enabling the voluntary & Community sector
- Focus on internally referring enquiries within involve, linking organisations up to involve services primarily
- Offer basic level advice and guidance to VCS/start-ups when requests fall outside of internal service offers and resources
- Signpost organisations/ individuals to suitable resources, tools and guides to aid their development
- As required, complete organisational reviews/ meetings to build and propose bespoke paid for development/ consultancy work as appropriate
- Cost, negotiate and establish contract work for groups – allocate and manage any sub contracted work
- Maintain contacts with quality/qualified sub-contractors to undertake one off/ targeted pieces of work with charities/ groups
- Lead on the organisation, promotion and delivery of the Growth Clubs
- Support the promotion and delivery of the Future Leaders course in partnership with the Training Manager
- Organise and deliver Community Awareness events across the 2 boroughs
- Lead an internal weekly catch up/ info sharing meeting with the Development Team members – allocating work and sharing intelligence
- Maintain an updated tools, guides and checklist/resources pool
- Lead on the promotion, sales and development of the Advantage Package
- Network and build relations with local partners including the VCS, strategic partners, businesses and other interested parties
- Identify and support community initiatives/ community resilience exercises, not deviating from involves core focus and maintaining strong exit strategies from any projects
- Instigate forums/ networks as required to support communities/actions/ initiatives/ themes with partners and organisations
- Contribute to the development of the service by advising Management of areas of particular need, new opportunities and local development.
- Attend meetings and carry out other duties as requested by the Management
- Undertake other duties consistent with the level of this post as may be required
Essential experience, qualifications, skills & attributes
You will have:
- a level of recognised appropriate qualifications including management experience
- Commitment to positive community action and making a difference locally
- Knowledge of the local VCS and local key strategic partners
- Substantial paid or unpaid experience of working with businesses, people/communities and/or community groups.
- Experience of overseeing budgets
- interpersonal skills that enable you to work with people at all levels, motivate others and change people’s attitudes when necessary
- written and spoken communication skills that allow you to inform and advise others clearly
- Excellent people person with ability to form strong positive relationships
- The ability to act diplomatically, impartially and fairly
- problem-solving and negotiation skills
- initiative and the ability to offer new ideas
- organisational and planning skills to manage your time and to meet deadlines and objectives
- good time-keeping skills to enable you to effectively manage/ deliver training schedules and programmes
- personal commitment to improving your own knowledge and skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and an understanding of the needs of disadvantaged individuals and communities
- Experience of working in partnership with other organisations
- A ‘can do’ attitude and a proactive approach to working
- Ability to travel within Bracknell Forest and Wokingham Borough: access to a car is essential.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and good attention to detail.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, email and internet
You will be able to:
- Respond flexibly to a constantly changing environment.
- Deal tactfully but assertively with a wide range of people.
- Actively listen and motivate and encourage people.
- Show creativity, common sense and initiative
- Work well under pressure whist managing and prioritising workload.
- Work as part of the team in order to meet the organisations aims and objectives.
- Prepare and present information in an accessible form, both electronically and in writing.
- Be willing and able to work flexible hours with occasional evening and weekend meetings.
involve is a small, focussed organisation working in an ever-changing environment which means that staff and management have to respond to both internal and external opportunities, sometimes in a short timescale. As a result, the pace of work can be varied. Time flexibility and a ‘can-do’ attitude are essential as is the ability to find ways and means to undertake work when solutions may not always be initially obvious.
Applicants must apply by submitting an up to date CV and thorough covering letter outlining how you meet the required criteria to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Monday 17th December with interviews being held later in that week.