White Ribbon Day
The 25th November marks International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, also known as White Ribbon Day. The first White Ribbon Campaign was launched in Canada by a group of men after the brutal mass shooting of 14 female students at the University of Montreal. The first White Ribbon Day in the UK was launched in 1998 and has grown stronger and bigger every year since then.
The White Ribbon Campaign UK is part of a world wide movement led by men who know that there is never an excuse for violence against women and pledge to never condone it or stand by when they know it is happening.
Why do we need it?
- On average two women are killed by their partner or ex-partner every week in England and Wales. (Office for National Statistics, 2015).
- Women are twice as likely as men to experience domestic abuse (CSEW, 2015).
- Domestic cases account for 14.1% of all court prosecutions. 92.4% of defendants were male and 7.6% were women. 84% of victims were female and 16% were male. (CPS VAWG report 2014/15).
- Women are 5 times more likely to experience sexual assault than men (CSEW, 2015).
- Up to 700,000 women are stalked every year (CSEW, 2012).
- Of all reported cases of “Honour killing” in the UK in last 5 years the majority of victims were females (Dyer, 2015).
What can you do?
Come and meet BWA between 10 am and 4pm at Wokingham Borough Council Shute End on Friday 25th November White Ribbon Day
Join BWA in pledging your support and make a commitment to stand up and condemn violence against women and girls at the White Ribbon Campaign pledge page.
Donate and pick up a White Ribbon at
- Shute End Wokingham Borough Council
- Easthampstead House Bracknell
- Time Square Bracknell
Share your comments and selfies of you and friends and colleagues wearing your White Ribbons using #bwa #wrc25Nov.
White Ribbon UK are seeking new Ambassadors as positive male role models; to take a stand against all male violence against women and girls and encouraging other men to do so too. More information is available at the White Ribbon ambassador page.