Funding Alerts

Tap Water

by | Mar 6, 2018 |

Of interest to Organisations dealing with Plastic-Free Water, Schools, Colleges, Universities

Tap Water will only support educational establishments that want to be plastic free in relation to drinking water on campus. They provide grants to install mains fed water dispensers and provide stainless steel bottles for staff and students.


You can apply to Tap Water for a grant if you are a:

  • School, college or university.

But under this programme they will not fund:

  • Individuals and sole traders
  • Profit-making organisations
  • Statutory organisations other than those listed above
  • Organisations not established in the UK.

Applications from educational establishments

They welcome applications from educational establishments but they will not pay for activities or services that schools have a statutory responsibility to provide.

They will accept applications for projects working solely with children with special needs where it may not be appropriate to involve the wider community, although you still need to show that what you want us to fund is extra to what happens in the school day.


What For?

They do not support schemes involving plastic cups and plastic sports bottles.

Their Tap Water awards aim to help schemes that significantly reduce our reliance on single use plastics that are destined for landfill. The development of new mains fed solutions that replace pre-existing systems that rely on plastic.

To achieve their aim we want to fund projects that meet the following outcome:

  • The reduction in the amount of single use plastics that are being bought and disposed of.

Here are some examples of what a Tap Water grant can pay for:

  • Equipment hire or purchase to reduce plastic waste used for drinking water
  • Updating equipment for health and safety reasons

But they won’t pay for:

  • Activities that happen or start before they confirm their grant
  • Any costs you incur when putting together your application
  • Any expenditure incurred or committed before we confirm our grant (including deposits)
  • Day-to-day running costs (for example, utility bills, council tax, rent and insurance)
  • Contingency costs
  • Endowments
  • Existing activities and repeat or regular events, including those we have funded before
  • Fundraising activities for your organisation or others
  • Items that mainly benefit individuals (for example, equipment that is not shared)
  • Loans or interest payments
  • Ongoing staff costs (including salaries of permanent or fixed term staff)
  • Political or religious activities
  • Projects or activities that the state has a legal obligation to provide
  • Projects that you cannot maintain because of high ongoing costs or the need for specialist skills
  • Projects that cannot be completed within 12 months
  • Purchase of alcohol
  • Routine repairs and maintenance
  • VAT that you can recover.

How Much?

You can apply for between £300 and £3,000.


Send your application to them at least three months before your project will start.