Heritage Lottery Fund: Our Heritage
Of interest to small UK charities dealing with Heritage, Cultural Traditions, Collections, Local History, Natural Habitats, Languages and Dialects, Historic Buildings, Archaeological Sites, Memories and Personal Experiences.
A Heritage Lottery Fund Our Heritage grant can help you protect and share the heritage you care about. Your project could focus on anything from personal memories and cultural traditions to archaeological sites, museum collections and rare wildlife.
Under Our Heritage they can accept applications from not-for-profit organisations, private owners of heritage and partnerships. If individuals or for-profit organisations are involved, the public benefit from the project must be greater than any private gain.
They will fund:
• community or voluntary groups;
• Community Interest Companies;
• charities or trusts;
• social enterprises;
• community/parish councils;
• local authorities;
• other public sector organisations, such as nationally funded museums; and
• private owners of heritage, including individuals and for-profit organisations.
HLF are passionate about the difference their projects make for heritage, people and communities. They take account of the outcomes your project will achieve in their assessment. You can read about these in the application guidance.
Heritage includes many different things from the past that they value and want to pass on to future generations, for example:
• archaeological sites;
• collections of objects, books or documents in museums, libraries or archives;
• cultural traditions such as stories, festivals, crafts, music, dance and costumes;
• historic buildings;
• histories of people and communities;
• histories of places and events;
• the heritage of languages and dialects;
• natural and designed landscapes and gardens;
• people’s memories and experiences (often recorded as ‘oral history’);
• places and objects linked to our industrial, maritime and transport history; and
• natural heritage including habitats, species and geology.
Between £10,000 and £100,000
There are no application deadlines for this programme – apply anytime. Your application will be discussed at a monthly advisory meeting at your local Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) office. Following this meeting, a decision on your application will be made by the Head of your local HLF office. They will assess your application within eight weeks.
If you’ve got a question about applying, or delivering your project, join in their Online Community to get advice from grantees who Have already been there and done it themselves.